10 characteristics of gasoline
Through a chemical process called distillation applied to Petroleum, a liquid with a special density is obtained, called gasoline, currently used as fuel, and which must meet certain chemical characteristics in order to be called as such and have the relevant quality.
- It is obtained through a chemical process: Gasoline is characterized by being a product obtained by refining another, specifically from oil, which, through a chemical process called distillation, is perfected until obtaining said fuel.
- It is a composition of variety of hydrocarbons: Gasoline is not only obtained from oil, but it is mixed with other hydrocarbons to obtain the final result and, depending on its octane number, it will be more or less pure and beneficial for the useful life of combustion engines.
- It has a yellow color and cannot be mixed with water.: The chemical composition of gasoline gives it a characteristic yellow or light green color, which is obtained by processing petroleum and mixing it with other carbon components. Likewise, due to its properties, which give it an oily consistency, gasoline cannot be mixed with water, obtaining a heterogeneous mixture when trying to do it.
- There are various types of greater or lesser purity: In the market you can find gasoline that is characterized by being more effective than another, since purer processes have been used for its production. Talking about this aspect of octane, referring to fuel pressure point to obtain the necessary temperature that starts the engine. Thus, we have that there is lower or higher octane gasoline, being the best known on the market: 90, 95 and 98 octane unleaded. There is also the so-called leaded gasoline, which is rarely found on the market due to its well-known negative effects, which do not meet quality and environmental regulation standards.
- It has a lower density than diesel: 680 kilograms per cubic meter is the average density of gasoline, giving it a characteristic of a lower proportion than other fuels of the same origin, such as Diesel; which in turn gives it a higher percentage of impurity and contamination.
- It is of great commercial and domestic utility: The objects that use gasoline as fuel are varied: different agricultural production machines, cars, motorcycles, ovens, kitchens, various utensils, etc. Therefore, one of the main characteristics of gasoline is that it represents a commonly used product and of great advantage to individuals, even at home. In industrialized and developed countries, the use of this fuel mobilizes more than half of public transport, meaning then a product that they cannot do without, becoming one of the main expenses and reducing national budgets, hence its high commercial cost.
- Has flammable properties: Reaching a specific temperature, gasoline is considered a highly flammable product, even when it is used as fuel, this characteristic is deduced and its usefulness for starting fires can also be deduced.
- It is considered a polluting element.: Since gasoline is obtained from petroleum, it is considered an element that cannot be renewed, but it is a product that is released into the environment and when used produces a certain degree of contamination. When gasoline burns, the smoke that is produced contains elements toxic and harmful to health. However, in almost every country in the world there are standards that regulate the chemical conditions with which this liquid must comply in order to reduce the degree of contamination and the environmental impact.
- Provides a good relationship between performance and speed: Depending on the octane number of the gasoline, it can be characterized by obtaining a good benefit between the relationship: speed – performance, making it possible for the combustion engine to react better to the request of a greater demand. The octane number of gasoline allows to determine if it is possible to travel a greater distance in less time, with less engine wear and low fuel consumption.
- Economy and ease of starting: Depending on the type of gasoline, it may be easier to start and accelerate the car, consequently, a lower proportion of gasoline will be spent, producing savings in general terms for the economy. This will depend in a straight line on the number of octane numbers.
📂 Citar artículo
ENCICLOPEDIA DE CARACTERÍSTICAS (2023) 10 characteristics of gasoline, en 10caracteristicas.com. https://10caracteristicas.com/en/10-characteristics-of-gasoline/ (Consultado el: 24-09-2023)
🌐 Enlazar artículo
📌 Enlace corto a esta página:
📑 Impresión del artículo
¿Quieres leer más artículos similares a: 10 characteristics of gasoline (Actualizado 2023)? Puedes visitar la categoría Society para ver más contenido relacionado.