10 physical characteristics of down syndrome
He Down's Syndrome It is a genetic alteration that occurs when there is an extra copy of chromosome 21 in the cells of the human body. This condition leads to a set of physical and cognitive characteristics that the affected person will carry throughout their lives. Among the physical characteristics we find distinctive features in the face, such as almond-shaped eyes, a flattened and small nose, a large tongue, and small hands and feet compared to its body.
Besides, people with Down syndrome often have short stature, decreased muscle tone, and a higher propensity to develop health problems, such as heart and respiratory problems, thyroid problems, and increased risk of infectious diseases. The eyes are also usually a point of special attention in this syndrome, since there are problems such as myopia, strabismus or nystagmus that may require ophthalmological treatment.
It is important to note that although Down syndrome carries a number of physical quirks, each person is a different and unique individual. Despite the physical implications they may have, people with Down syndrome can lead full and satisfying lives, with the necessary help and support to overcome any type of barrier. And it is that, like any other person, the value resides in the person behind the condition and not in the condition itself.
List of the 10 most important physical characteristics of down syndrome
- Low muscle tone: People with down syndrome often have muscle weakness that makes it difficult to move.
- epicanthus brands: Some people with down syndrome may have a line of skin that covers the inner corner of the eye.
- Palms and small feet: The limbs of people with down syndrome are smaller than normal.
- Loose joints: The joints of people with down syndrome are often looser than normal, which can cause future health problems.
- Short neck: People with down syndrome tend to have a shorter and wider neck than people without chromosomal disorders.
- Big tongue: The size of the tongue in people with down syndrome may be too large in relation to the size of the mouth, which can make eating and speaking difficult.
- Small white spots: Some people with down syndrome may have small white patches on their skin.
- Prominent forehead: The head of people with down syndrome is usually smaller, rounder, and with a prominent forehead.
- Upturned Eyes: The eyes of people with down syndrome tend to tilt upwards.
- short fingers: The fingers of people with down syndrome tend to be shorter and thicker.
Final comments on the physical aspects of down syndrome
In conclusion, the physical aspects of Down syndrome are very significant in the diagnosis and treatment of the condition. Individuals with this condition often have slanted eyes, a short head and neck, and a larger than average tongue, which can make it difficult to pronounce certain words properly. In addition, they also have low muscle tone and delayed physical development compared to other children.
On the other hand, it is important to note that early diagnosis and proper medical care can help alleviate some of these symptoms and improve the quality of life of individuals with Down syndrome. Physical and occupational therapy, as well as specialized education and ongoing medical care, are essential to improve the physical function and cognitive, social and psychological development of these people. Despite the difficulties they may present, people with Down syndrome have the right to live full and satisfying lives, and it is our responsibility to make sure they have access to the tools and resources they need to do so.
📂 Citar artículo
ENCICLOPEDIA DE CARACTERÍSTICAS (2023) 10 physical characteristics of down syndrome, en 10caracteristicas.com. https://10caracteristicas.com/en/10-physical-characteristics-of-down-syndrome/ (Consultado el: 26-09-2023)
🌐 Enlazar artículo
📌 Enlace corto a esta página:
📑 Impresión del artículo
¿Quieres leer más artículos similares a: 10 physical characteristics of down syndrome (Actualizado 2023)? Puedes visitar la categoría Health para ver más contenido relacionado.