10 characteristics of CHINA
China It is an extremely large country, first in population and fifth in area, according to the CIA, and the customs and traditions of its people vary by geography and ethnicity.
- According to the World Bank, around 1.4 billion people live in China, representing 56 minority ethnic groups. The largest group is the Han Chinese, with about 900 million people. Other groups include the Tibetans, the Mongols, the Manchus, the Naxi, and the Hezhen, which is the smallest group, numbering less than 2,000 people.
- About a quarter of people practice Taoism and Confucianism and other traditional religions. There are also a small number of Buddhists, Muslims, and Christians. Although numerous Protestant and Catholic ministries have been active in the country since the early 19th century, they have made little progress in converting the Chinese to these religions.
- There are seven main groups of Chinese language dialects, each with their own variations, according to Mount Holyoke College. Mandarin dialects are spoken by 71.5 percent of the population, followed by Wu (8.5 percent), Yue (also called Cantonese; 5 percent), Xiang (4.8 percent), Min (4.1 percent), Hakka (3.7 percent) and Gan (2.4 percent). percent). The official national language of China is Pŭtōnghuà, a type of Mandarin spoken in the capital Beijing, according to the Order of the President of the People's Republic of China. Many Chinese are also fluent in English.
- Like other aspects of Chinese life, the cuisine is heavily influenced by geography and ethnic diversity. Among the main styles of Chinese cuisine are Cantonese, which features deep-fried dishes, and Szechuan, which relies heavily on the use of peanuts, sesame paste, and ginger, and is known for its spiciness.
- Chinese art is heavily influenced by the country's rich spiritual and mystical history. Many sculptures and paintings depict spiritual figures from Buddhism, according to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Many musical instruments are an integral part of Chinese culture, including the xun flute and the guqin, which is in the zither family.
- Oriental-style martial arts also developed in China., and is the birthplace of kung fu. This fighting technique is based on animal movements and was created in the mid-17th century, according to Black Belt Magazine.
- China has invested large amounts of money in scientific advances and currently challenges the United States in scientific research. China spent 75 percent of what the United States spent in 2015, according to JCI Insight magazine.
- China's 'Rejuvenation' bullet trains are fastest in the world. Another breakthrough of 2017 is the development of new bullet trains. Nicknamed "Fuxing," which means "rejuvenation," these trains are high-speed transportation systems that run between Beijing and Shanghai. The trains can travel at speeds of up to 350 km/h (217 mph), making them the fastest trains in the world.
- The biggest festival, also called The Spring Festival marks the beginning of the Lunar New Year. It falls between mid-January and mid-February and is a time to honor one's ancestors. During the 15-day celebration, the Chinese do something every day to welcome the new year, such as eating frozen rice and mustard greens to cleanse the body, according to the University of Victoria. The festival is marked with fireworks and parades with dancers dressed as dragons.
- Many people make a pilgrimage to the birthplace of Confucius in Shandong province on his birthday., on September 28. The birthday of Guanyin, the goddess of mercy, is observed by visiting Taoist temples. It falls between the end of March and the end of April. Similar celebrations mark the birthday of Mazu, the goddess of the sea (also known as Tianhou), in May or June. The Moon Festival is held in September or October with fireworks, paper lanterns and moon watching.
📂 Citar artículo
ENCICLOPEDIA DE CARACTERÍSTICAS (2023) 10 characteristics of CHINA, en 10caracteristicas.com. https://10caracteristicas.com/en/10-characteristics-of-china/ (Consultado el: 22-09-2023)
🌐 Enlazar artículo
📌 Enlace corto a esta página:
📑 Impresión del artículo
¿Quieres leer más artículos similares a: 10 characteristics of CHINA (Actualizado 2023)? Puedes visitar la categoría Geography para ver más contenido relacionado.