10 characteristics of the GEOGRAPHICAL SPACE
On this occasion, we will talk about the 10 characteristics of geographic space, understanding this as the territory where living beings on earth inhabit and interact, in constant contact with the environment; In a few words, the place where beings and nature converge.
geographic space It is studied by geography, which is in charge of studying each of the elements that intervene in it and classifying them for a better understanding. That is why below we name 10 characteristics of the geographical space that are of great importance.
The 10 most important characteristics of geographic spaces
- Globality: within the 10 characteristics of geographic space, the globality It cannot be left out, since it is everywhere, since it covers all habitable territory, that is, where there is life and a natural environment that favors it through various factors.
- Location: The geographic space where you are can be located, either through maps, coordinates, addresses or other location data. Therefore, localization is an essential feature of it.
- Ecology: Because within the geographical space an incalculable number of living beings make life, therefore one of its characteristics is its ecological component, which determines the various conditions and factors that intervene within it. The existing life within each territory, transforms and/or models in some way or another the geographical space, which is modified for the benefit of the subsistence of the beings that inhabit there.
- Nature: This is another essential characteristic of the geographical space, which is determined by the spaces where the hand of man has not caused transformations, such as in some jungles, mountains, valleys, forests, plains, among others. Nature is an essential part of life, which is why it is included as a component of vital importance within the geographical space.
- Economy: Due to the human need to produce and consume, the economy it is inserted within the geographical space, seeing it on some occasions totally modified to satisfy the population demand. It is also considered as a component of the geographic space, thanks to the way in which it influences its distribution and organization, which will always benefit humanity and its interests.
- Culture: He cultural aspect within the geographical space it is characterized by the customs and traditions that determine the societies, which are reflected in the forms of their architectures, sculptures and forms of expression that are maintained over time. These traces are usually different for each society, which means that when transforming the geographical space it looks different from others.
- Urban space: Referring to urban space, which will depend on the number of inhabitants that it has. In this geographical space, also called zone, nucleus, area or urban landscape, the cities are located, which have within them infrastructures and buildings of all kinds. He urban geographic space, is usually divided into several areas, which can be streets, avenues, neighborhoods, communities or urbanizations, parishes, municipalities, zones, or other terms in order to establish an ordering of the population that is within it.
- Rural Space: As for the rural space, this characteristic refers to less inhabited places, used for planting, animal husbandry and a calmer life. Here there are very few buildings, so the natural presence takes over the land.
- Order: With this, we want to highlight that the geographical space is divided from a first order to an eighth order, when speaking of geographical extension. Therefore, in the first order are the continents, in the second order are the general proportions in which the continents are divided, for example South America. In the third order are the countries, in the fourth order are the states, provinces or regions, while in the fifth are the less extensive regions with their municipalities, in the sixth place are the neighborhoods, urbanisations, shantytowns or favelas; in the seventh place the streets or avenues and in the eighth place the houses or addresses would be located.
- Time and history: With the passing of time, the influence of humanity in geographical spaces leaves its traces, these in turn become history, which identifies the origins of populations and gives way to knowledge for new generations. That is why time and history are considered an essential feature of geographic space.
To end with the 10 characteristics of geographic space, it can be pointed out that without it, humanity would not have a place to be born, develop and carry out its activities; from there lies the importance of knowing the important features of the geographical space and learning to protect it as our common home.
📂 Citar artículo
ENCICLOPEDIA DE CARACTERÍSTICAS (2023) 10 characteristics of the GEOGRAPHICAL SPACE, en 10caracteristicas.com. https://10caracteristicas.com/en/10-characteristics-of-the-geographical-space/ (Consultado el: 23-09-2023)
🌐 Enlazar artículo
📌 Enlace corto a esta página:
📑 Impresión del artículo
¿Quieres leer más artículos similares a: 10 characteristics of the GEOGRAPHICAL SPACE (Actualizado 2023)? Puedes visitar la categoría Geography para ver más contenido relacionado.