10 characteristics of ROMANTICISM
He romanticism It is the attitude or intellectual orientation that characterized many works of literature, painting, music, architecture, criticism and historiography in Western civilization during a period between late 18th century and mid 19th century.
Romanticism can be seen as a rejection of the precepts of order, calm, harmony, balance, idealization, and rationality that characterized classicism in general and late-eighteenth-century neoclassicism in particular. It was also, to some extent, a reaction against the Enlightenment and against eighteenth-century rationalism and physical materialism in general. Romanticism emphasized the individual, the subjective, the irrational, the imaginative, the personal, the spontaneous, the emotional, the visionary, and the transcendental. In this article we will see the most outstanding characteristics of ROMANTICISM and that differentiate it.
Among the characteristic attitudes of Romanticism are the following:
Characteristics of artistic romanticism
- Deeper appreciation of the beauties of nature.
- General exaltation of emotion over reason and of the senses over the intellect.
- Change in self and an intensified examination of the human personality and its states of mind and mental potentialities.
- Concern with the genius, the hero and the exceptional figure in general, and a focus on their passions and internal struggles.
- Emphasis on the imagination as a gateway to transcendent experience and spiritual truth.
- Obsessive interest in popular culture, national and ethnic cultural origins, and medieval times.
- Predilection for the exotic, the remote, the mysterious, the strange, the occult, the monstrous, the sick and even the satanic.
- idealization of women
- Frequent use of customization of things
- New vision of the artist as a supremely individual creator, whose creative spirit is more important than strict adherence to formal rules and traditional procedures
romanticism in music
Musical romanticism was marked by the emphasis on originality and individuality, personal emotional expression, and freedom and experimentation of form. Ludwig van Beethoven and Franz Schubert bridged the Classical and Romantic periods, for while their formal musical techniques were basically classical, their music's intensely personal feeling and use of programmatic elements provided an important model for 19th-century Romantic composers.
Romanticism in the Visual Arts
In the 1760s and 1970s, a number of British artists at home and in Rome, including James Barry, Henry Fuseli, John Hamilton Mortimer, and John Flaxman, began to paint subjects that were in disagreement with strict decorum and classical historical and mythological theme. matter of conventional figurative art. These artists favored subjects that were bizarre, pathetic, or extravagantly heroic, defining their images with taut line drawings and bold contrasts of light and shadow. William Blake, the other leading early Romantic painter in England, developed his own unique and powerful visionary images.
Romanticism in Literature
Romanticism proper was preceded by a number of related developments from the mid-18th century that may be termed Pre-Romanticism. Among those trends was a new appreciation of medieval romance, from which the romantic movement derives its name. The romance was a chivalrous adventure story or ballad, whose emphasis on individual heroism and the exotic and mysterious contrasted with the elegant formality and artificiality of classical forms. of classical literature, such as the French neoclassical tragedy or the English heroic couplet. in poetry This new interest in relatively unsophisticated but overtly emotional literary expressions of the past was to be a dominant note in Romanticism.
📂 Citar artículo
ENCICLOPEDIA DE CARACTERÍSTICAS (2023) 10 characteristics of ROMANTICISM, en 10caracteristicas.com. https://10caracteristicas.com/en/10-characteristics-of-romanticism/ (Consultado el: 22-09-2023)
🌐 Enlazar artículo
📌 Enlace corto a esta página:
📑 Impresión del artículo
¿Quieres leer más artículos similares a: 10 characteristics of ROMANTICISM (Actualizado 2023)? Puedes visitar la categoría Language and literature para ver más contenido relacionado.