10 characteristics of TOXIC PEOPLE
We have all encountered a toxic person in our lives. Their maliciousness underlies their subtlety, and they usually make you believe with all your heart that you really are the problem, not them.
Toxic people may be lurking nearby—a family member, coworker, or friend—and may cause you to question your 'overreactivity' and 'hypersensitivity'.
This doubt and constant questioning of reality can have a detrimental impact on your mental well-being. There is a scientific explanation for its extremely negative impact on human health.
Toxic people have an excuse for everythingIt's never their fault, and they have no concept of the word "responsibility." If they decided to stay home from work several days in a row and end up getting fired, it's not because they were lazy and irresponsible, it's because their boss was a jerk. This example illustrates his sick and twisted perception of reality.
Key characteristics of TOXIC people
- They are pathological liars: Toxic people are notorious for shifting the blame and going to bed on the spot. You could literally see them trip and break a lamp and they will tell you right to your face that it was already broken. They have no remorse, no shame, and cannot be trusted. In a way, they just can't help but lie, even if they know full well that their fabrications are superficial and easy to expose. The medical term for this condition is mythomania or pseudologia fantastica. Pathological lying in toxic people is mainly related to their previously mentioned insatiable hunger for attention.
- Ego issues: They think the world of themselves. With a crown, high on a pedestal above all others, the toxic person believes that they are the best in the world. No one can be smarter, more attractive, better at what they do, and of course they know everything. It is really sad to think how these people have voluntarily chosen to spend their entire lives in deception, as described in the tale The Emperor's New Clothes by the immortal Hans Christian Andersen.
- They don't apologize: They see no reason to, because things are always someone else's fault. In many cases, while they try to organize relationships to serve their own ends, they try to gain sympathy and attention by claiming "victim" status.
- They are inconsistent: It's hard to know who you're with at any given time because they're often not the same person. They may change their perspective, attitude, and behavior depending on what they feel they need to achieve or what they want to happen. (And they know how to be nice when they want something from you)
- They make you prove them to yourself: Toxic people make you choose them over someone else, or something they want over something you want. This often turns into a "divide and conquer" dynamic where the only option is them, even to the point of requiring you to cut other significant relationships to satisfy them.
- They tend to be abusive: In truth, this is beyond toxic and falls squarely into the 'evil' category. If someone is emotionally or physically abusive, get out of there. There is no hope to save them, and you cannot save yourself until you remove that person from your life. Do not hesitate to approach the competent authorities and report the abuser. Remember that most of these toxic people are based on the fact that their victim would be too scared, shocked, or embarrassed to make an official complaint against them. But you should act and try to get a restraining order as quickly as possible.
- They lack empathy: A normal and functional human being is invariably capable of empathy, it is a characteristic of a healthy personality. Toxic people, by contrast, have no empathy and don't understand the concept of "feeling" something someone else is going through. This relates to his selfishness and ego. It's about them. This is why many toxic people also tend to exhibit some psychopathic character traits.
- They speak for you: Oh, did you have an interesting point to make? Were you going to share your thoughts on the conversation in question? Save your breath. The toxic person may allow you to say a few words before they interrupt and refocus on themselves. Even if you start to say something, they will never let you finish. They actually need you in the conversation so they don't seem like they've been talking to themselves. And if you dare to interrupt them, they will immediately accuse you of being a poor listener.
- They are hungry for attention 24/7: Speaking of hot spots, that's where toxic people thrive. They put on a show for all to see, and who knows which of their masks you'll see this time. Try to ignore them, and they'll bulk up like a puffer fish, bring more drama, and throw emotional tantrums until they feel validated once more. Sometimes toxic people behave like grown children and that is what surprises those who have to deal with them. On the one hand, if you need to do business with such a quirky character, try to find the balance between the carrot and the stick.
- They tend to be quite rude at times: Toxic people say hurtful things and then play it off as a joke. When you let them know that it was a little offensive, they tell you that you are overreacting and overly sensitive. They are passive-aggressive and sarcastic when you need them to be genuine and honest. We all have bad days, but if this person keeps doing the same things over and over again, it's a good indication that you need to distance yourself from them as far as possible.
Not everyone you meet is a good person, and that has nothing to do with you. Have confidence in yourself and who you are as a person. Completely own your flaws, your weirdness, and the things that make you who you really are. You don't need anyone's approval but yourself. However, if someone is trying to manipulate you, it's probably because they need yours.
📂 Citar artículo
ENCICLOPEDIA DE CARACTERÍSTICAS (2023) 10 characteristics of TOXIC PEOPLE, en 10caracteristicas.com. https://10caracteristicas.com/en/10-characteristics-of-toxic-people/ (Consultado el: 22-09-2023)
🌐 Enlazar artículo
📌 Enlace corto a esta página:
📑 Impresión del artículo
¿Quieres leer más artículos similares a: 10 characteristics of TOXIC PEOPLE (Actualizado 2023)? Puedes visitar la categoría Society para ver más contenido relacionado.